1) Shooter kills students and teachers in an elementary schools in Brazil. Some reports seem to suggest that he was a convert to islam as his sister is reported to have said that in the past few months he had become preoccupied with the koran. ....Ramos said she escaped by running into a classroom, where a teacher then locked the door and barricaded it with tables.
Police were alerted to the shooting when two young boys, at least one with a gunshot wound, ran up to two officers on patrol about two blocks away. The officers sprinted to the school and at least one quickly located the gunman on the second floor and traded shots with him. "He saw me and aimed a gun at me," said officer Marcio Alves. "I shot him in the legs, he fell down the stairs and then shot himself in the head." Rio Mayor Eduardo Paes said life at the four-story, pastel yellow and green school was turned into a "hellish nightmare."
"This day would have been so much worse if it weren't for the hero policeman," Paes told reporters at the school.....
2) Oh ...lookee here! Another story about another "upstanding citizen of the UAE" ... you know the country whose airlines wanted that extra space at our airports and the country that Iggy, Rae and the entire Liberal party and the NDP were panting hot for a few months ago. Remember this and this. Liberals will partner even with the devil himself if it would give them the power they crave so much. No morals, no integrity, no nothing... that's the Liberal party.
3) The company you keep, defines you. Obama's pal arrested in prostitution sting.
4) Al Qaeda takes advantage of the Yemen situation to take over a southern town in Yemen. In an interview with The Daily Telegraph, Dr Abu Bakr al-Qirbi confirmed a major town near the vital southern port of Aden had fallen to al-Qaeda-backed rebel forces, and said the group was expanding its wider operations as the government was destabilised by clashes with protesters. His warning came as American intelligence agencies said they believed Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), as the terrorist group's Yemen-based franchise calls itself, was planning a new terrorist assault on the West.
vid h/t: Irene
5) Human Rights Watch released a report Wednesday detailing the abuse of journalists in the West Bank and Gaza at the hands of the Palestinian Authority.
The report, “No News is Good News: Abuses Against Journalists by Palestinian Security Forces,” accuses Palestinian Authority security forces of censoring, harassing and torturing reporters, resulting in a severe restriction of free speech.
Documenting seven instances of journalist detention and abuse, Human Rights Watch concludes that the effect has not only been active censorship but also a “chilling effect” of self-censorship by journalists in the area. .... h/t: Irene
6) Kosovo gets it's first moslem president. and she vows to get the ailing and failed nation into the EU. Jahjaga has stated that one of her main goals as Kosovos President is to securing a membership for Kosovo in the European Union and United Nations council . "The ideal of all Kosovo is membership in the EU and a permanent friendship with the United States.I believe and I am convinced our dreams will come true," she said in her first speech to the parliament.